Welcome to the Village of Mineral City! Our Village was founded in 1853 and named after the “abounding of minerals” near the original town site.
We are located on State Route 800 at the Northwest edge Tuscarawas County, Ohio. Our village is home to several businesses including Steineck’s Donuts and Cakes and recently welcoming JA’s Auto Service and Dollar General. We also have three churches, the Mineral City Nicole Donant Library, several ballfields, and park with a pavilion and playground.
As a small village we have proudly maintained and supported a strong volunteer Fire/EMS department. The Village of Mineral City Volunteer Fire Department not only serves the residents of the village but also Sandy Township and assists surrounding areas.
The Village of Mineral City is located in the Tuscarawas Valley School District and is wonderful place to call home!
Beautification Awards 2021
Beautification Awards Coming in July. We are now accepting nominations for the annual Beautification Awards. Deadline for nominations is July 15th. Awards will go out shortly after and yard signs will go out the beginning of August! You can pick up nomination sheets at the post office or Library. You can drop them off at the Library or mail to: Village of Mineral City PO Box 336 Mineral City Ohio 446456.
Meetings are the second Thursday and fourth Thursday of each month at 7:00 p.m.
Our meetings are held in the Nicole Donant Library. Everyone is welcome to attend.
History of Our Town
Once known as Mineral Point, the village of Mineral City in Tuscarawas County, Ohio was founded by Mr. & Mrs. George Leckner and Alfred Davis in the 1850s. Davis operated the first coal mine beginning in 1850. Noting the abundance of coal and clay nearby, they worked with Cleveland & Pittsburgh Railroad to bring a rail line through the area to haul the minerals to market. A passenger depot was also built. They then laid out the first 40 lots in the village. The development of the area began in earnest in 1869 and the population in 1870 was 400. Mineral City was not incorporated until Oct. 11, 1882.
In 1882, John Bierly Sr. opened a meat market and provision house. Early businesses included the Continental Hotel, the Gibbs Hotel and Boarding house, a stone quarry, a steam cider press, a steam sawmill, the W.F. Walter cabinet shop, banks, a drug store and doctor’s office. A general store, the Old Time Tried and True House which was later known as Geckler’s opened in 1873. Mr. Charles E. Holden published the Mineral Point Express newspaper in 1884. By 1890, an opera house was built in the village and the most famous person to perform there was Will Rogers.
The village was a melting pot with people of many races and ethnicities including an influx of immigrants from Italy, Scotland, England, and France, that increased the population of Mineral City to 1,035 in 1910. The population is smaller today, but the village is still home to a fire department, businesses, churches, a park, and the Mineral City Nicole Donant Library.
Mineral City gained nationwide attention in 2005 when singer Amy Grant of the NBC show “Three Wishes” came to town to make Nicole Donant’s wish for a library for her friends who lived in the village come true. The library is staffed by volunteers and provides many necessary services to the village.
The village has a vibrant historical society, and more information and photos on its history can be found at the Mineral City Area Historical Society Facebook page.